RNIB Sauchiehall Avenue

• administrators

The plans to put a busy cycleway between the pavement and bus stops is 'an accident waiting to happen', according to Royal National Institute Of Blind People (RNIB) Scotland.

Sandra Wilson, Chair of RNIB Scotland, told Glasgow Live the charity hopes the council will listen to their pleas to move the cycleway to the south side of the street

http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/sight-loss-charity-condemn-plans-13519040

Does seem odd that most of the focus is being directed at the proposed bike path when there's a 2 lane carriageway.

• administrators

Looks like space4cycling Glasgow has been on the case:

• Is there a danger this becomes another bit of infrastructure that would then not be used because of issues accessing it. Important that segregated infrastructure joins up with routes leading to it and difficult to see how that will happen on the south side of the road. Surely there are other options. For example, as far as I can see there are places designed to cross the cycleway slightly down from the bus stop but the problem is that the assumption will be to cross at the bus stop rather than the safe place. Wouldn't expect to do that in a carriageway.

Having recently done a survey on active travel where blind groups were pushing for segregated lanes rather than shared space it's slightly frustrating to see opposition to those now. This is why we need a standardised design manual which offers solutions which will work for everyone without them needing to be designed from scratch every single time.

• administrators

@iain I can understand their subjective safety concerns when crossing a bike path. Without a signalised crossing, you would feel worried about stepping into the path of a cyclist.

It would be interesting to see a video of blind people crossing a busy Dutch bike path. @dashedlines mentioned speaking to people from the Cycling embassy next weekend at the AGM to see what they know.

• I can speak from my Danish experience which is that you should have crossing points which match up crossing the cycleway with crossing the carriageway and that will allow you to access the strip between the cycleway and carriageway. It looks to me from the design pictures like that has been designed into this via a zebra crossing slightly further down the street where cyclists should stop if there are pedestrians. I'm sympathetic to this needing to be well designed for those with visual impairments and perhaps the crossing should be moved closer to the bus stop, but moving an entire cycleway across the street is a total overreaction. If that is the solution every time this problem crops up then it will be impossible to have any segregated cycleways in Glasgow!

• administrators

alt text

• administrators

We also considered narrowing the carriageway to single lane at points. This would reduce the crossing distance.
    alt text