Busby Rd, Clarkston Proposals

• administrators

The proposals are part of Clarkston - Stamperland - Busby Active Travel Network Delivery Plan. Full report here but their appendix has the juicy bits. GoBike have also blogged about it.

This is what Busby Road currently looks like like:
    Imgur

A dual carriageway on a shopping street. How very British.

3 options being proposed:

1. Dedicated Cycle Lanes

Imgur
    Imgur
    Imgur

1. Shared Space

Imgur
    Imgur

1. Road Realignment

Imgur

There are also provisional drawings for the roundabout:

1. Dedicated Cycle Lanes
      Imgur

2. Road Realignment
      Imgur

• administrators

I'm concerned about "Dedicated Cycle Lanes" roundabout's geometry and layout.
    It's good to see single lane traversal, the importance of this is mentioned in their report. But the current angling of the entrances and exists allows for motor vehicle to enter and leave at speed. For safe interactions motor vehicle speeds need to be low.
    The distance between the cycle lane and and the mouth of the junction looks too small. Ideally it should be a car length to give a buffer for before interacting with the cycle path and after passing the cycle path.

What's interesting is their report appendix contains Dutch roundabouts:
    Imgur

But it also has bad UK examples:
    Imgur

David Hembrow has looked at the safest roundabout design.

• Global Moderator

@un I followed a link to the plans from the Gobike blog and was so impressed that East Ren have actually considered designing for active travel that I've emailed the project officer to say thank you and good luck!

Here's what I wrote to him:

Dear John Shelton,

I came across the proposals for the Clarskton - Stamperland - Busby Active Travel Network from a post on the blog at Gobike.org. I'm a resident of south Glasgow and a frequent visitor to East Renfrewshire for leisure. I'd just like to say thank you for putting forward such a well thought out proposal including plans for genuinely high quality infrastructure and various options for making Clarkston high street a much more pleasant place. I wish you every success in seeing these plans to fruition - once these improvements are in place it will be much easier for me and my family to leave the car behind when visiting Busby and Clarkston. Experience of similar developments in the greater Glasgow suggests that you'll receive a fair number of negative comments from a small but vocal minority of people, but I'm sure that the majority of people are with you on making their towns safer, cleaner and altogether nicer places to live, work and play.

Best regards,

John Chivall

• GoBike Members

@jchivall

I should really do the same. This forms part of my commute, and it can be really quite hairy. I've had everything form punishment passes, near-miss doorings and to very nearly the view of the underside of an HGV.

It's actually one of the sections that has put off some of my colleagues from commuting by bike, and for others often the thought of it is enough to make a grab for car keys.

Looks like your connection to CityCyclingGlasgow was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.