Woodside Mini-Holland

• administrators

@josephine The project is part of Sustran's Community Links PLUS "competition". It was 1 of 5 finalists, with the original intention of only 1 being funded. However, since the doubling of the Active Travel budget all 5 projects will be funded, including the Woodside Mini-Holland.

At the GoBike AGM Anna Richardson mentioned being involved.

@stephK has mentioned she is also interested in this project and may be participating in a focus group.

• administrators

Looks like there's rebranding going on:

• @un Yes, Anna mentioned it when I spoke to her at WCV Campaigners Day. Good to see it live! Cheers for the update. Haven't got around to replying to Craig at LES yet. Should I mention we're members of GoBike? Don't want to come across as 'Cycle Lobby descending....' - more as interested local residents...

• administrators

@josephine local interest group sounds like a good way to-go about it. Others at the meeting who aren't so local, such as myself, could be from GoBike.

• Public Survey – Green infrastructure and public space in Woodside

My name is Gary Donaldson and i'm postgraduate masters student at Strathclyde University and a Woodside resident. I am carrying out research relating to public space in the area in relation to the 'Connecting Woodside' development.

I would like to gather views from the local community and wider Glasgow residents, including those on this forum, through a short survey.

If you are interested in taking part, please follow the link below to complete the survey which will take around 5-10 minutes.

Green Infrastructure Survey

I would like to thank you in advance for your participation.

• administrators

Woodside plan sections stitched together.

Imgur

• administrators

North Woodside Road public realm options:
    Imgur

• administrators

North Woodside Rd and Marryhill Rd crossing options:
    Imgur

• administrators

Drop-in events for Connecting Woodside cycling and walking plans:
    https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=23864

On Monday, February 11 designs for the North Woodside Road section of the proposals will be on show at Windsor Hall, Maryhill Road, G20 7NA between 3.30pm and 7pm.

On Tuesday, February 19 designs for the St. George's Road (South section) of plans will open for scrutiny and discussion at Woodside Library, St George's Road, G3 6JQ between 3.30pm and 7pm

alt text

• administrators

• administrators

North Woodside Rd and Napiershall St junction alternative designs:
    Imgur

• @un Given the options above, my preference for this junction is combination of raised table and raised roundabout. Currently, despite the mini roundabout, motor traffic flowing from Maryhill Rd towards GWR completely ignore it and speed through as though it wasn't there. So if you are approaching from North Woodside Rd from their right, you (cyclist or car believe it or not!) risk collision because they assume right-of-way.

Therefore, any new design needs to visually and physically make motor traffic aware this is a junction space not a through-road.

My experience of raised tables on the south side around Pollokshields is pretty positive for traffic calming but there still is a tendancy to speed over them in larger vehicles like vans/SUVs. Also, there is a real sense of ambiguity around who has right-of-way. So that's why I think there needs to be more than just a raised table in the Woodside scheme. If there is a roundabout as well, it presents clarity for right-of-way as well as the potential to add another level of traffic calming.

According to Craig, the 3rd option shown here with the bollards is unlikely to be possible because it would block the turning circle for trucks (there are regular deliveries here to the pub on North Woodside Road cul-de-sac).

Interested to read anyone else's thoughts.

• administrators

@Josephine what about a junction like this? The give way lines give clear priority.

If the junction is busy with through traffic, giving priority to cycles may not be the best idea. Assuming the more dangerous others will stop, can be a problem.

• @un Hmm thanks, I had thought that too - might have been my initial comment on commonplace map. I wonder why there's a roundabout there now tbh. Maybe to let side road traffic out when it's busy. I'll maybe ask Craig about it. I'm pretty sure I've asked someone about it before in an earlier consultation.