South City Way (Victoria Rd and connections)

• administrators

Here's another example of good kerbs.
    alt text

• administrators

@i Distinguishing feature is it's width, 3.5m?
    If the margin between the bike path and carriageway is very narrow, would the kerb angle be steeper?

• Global Moderator

Got an answer back from Anna. She's being briefed by LES tomorrow about the future of the SCW, and LES said that once [various committees] have signed off the designs they'll be made public for feedback. So at least designs are coming!

Need to properly read through the stuff from LES that Anna forwarded - there's a couple of comments that I'd like challenged...

• administrators

Some good looking artist impressions!
    Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Complete collection here: https://imgur.com/a/63UMm

• Looks very promising. Any idea why there are the double zebra crossings over the bike lane?

• administrators

@Frenchy The fact that there are double zebra crossings instead of single zebra crossings? Not sure, maybe better for desire lines, if someone wants to cross in a reasonable diagonal way.

Or saves having an extra wide zebra crossing. You kind of know to be careful when you are cycling between the zebras?

• administrators

@iain Good question. I would have thought visually impaired people would want to cross inline with the crossing so it's easier to find the crossing button.

I'm assuming it will be a Toucan crossing - including bikes.

• Asked about the double zebras at the consultation - IIRC (and I may not) the answer was that it's 'forbidden' to have a crossing that changes type part way across (ie from zebra to signal). And once it's offset, if you only have one who's going to walk the extra distance from the 'wrong' direction?

They did seem to be working it out as they went along, so if there are better solutions elsewhere it's definitely worth feeding them into the process.

I've just been in South Wales, were there's one section of NCN4 where they're using Give Way triangles on the cyclepath at places where pedestrians are likely to appear from another direction (eg bottom of a footbridge). Seemed reasonable - you do (or I did) pay an extra bit of attention, but the route (at the time we were on it) wasn't esactly highly populated with either pedestrians or cyclists.

• administrators

@timba Give Way triangles would be more 'flexible' than zebras. Pedestrians tend to thread their way through passing bikes who often want to keep their momentum!

• administrators

alt text

Looks like your connection to CityCyclingGlasgow was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.