Pavement Parking Consultation

• administrators

• Nice, thanks. That's my response in - took me about 30 minutes, but I went off on a rant ;)

• administrators

I started my response and ended up having to use their save feature - I too was getting quite into it! :smile:

• administrators

Looks like there are some loaded questions on parking controls "What should we be doing to reduce any impact on businesses in town centres?" and "
    What other arrangements should be considered to deliver parking improvements that help support town centre regeneration?"

I'm also confused why "Parking for ultra-low emission vehicles" is included in this consultation. I thought it was about pavement parking?

• administrators

I thought I would share 2 of my answers to important questions:

Chapter 1 - Setting the scene

[1] Do you think parking, including on pavements, at dropped kerbs and double parking is a problem in your area?

If you think it's a problem, how have you, your family or friends been affected by parking problems?

All vulnerable road users are affected by pavement parking. It increases their exposure to motor traffic through a variety of ways:

1. Vehicles mounting and dismounting pavements can strike people on the pavement
    2. Reduces visibility for pedestrians when crossing between vehicles
    3. Forces cyclists further into the carriageway or will cycle in the dangerous "door zone"
    4. Damages pavements creating uneven surfaces leading to trip hazards and costly repairs.
    5. Limits and prevents mobility - you often see people walking on the carriageway as a consequence.

[6] Do you think there should be exemptions applied to allow pavement parking to take place, particularly due to local concerns about access for vehicles and lack of alternative parking provision?

If no, why not? (Please be as specific as possible)

People are killed from drivers parking on the pavement. Pavement parking impacts on the safety of vulnerable road users. This space has been allocated for their safety and convenience and should not be compromised for the convenience of others.

Parking uses public space that could otherwise be utilised, and therefore it has an negative impact on the public realm. The space that's parked on could be used for other purposes - opportunity cost.

Exemptions lead to a weakening in the message that pavement parking is obstructive and dangerous, and will not be tolerated.

• administrators

I would be interested to know what others are saying for Chapter 5 - Parking for ultra-low emission vehicles

• administrators

I'm thinking about cost of parking spaces compared to average retail rental space. How does the per annum cost per square metre of a shop compare to a 2x6 metre square area of parking space? I see various rental prices here, but it seems to vary a lot for per square metre costs.

Buchannan street seems very expensive, about £2700 per sq metre.

• @un said in Pavement Parking Consultation:

Looks like there are some loaded questions on parking controls "What should we be doing to reduce any impact on businesses in town centres?" and "
    What other arrangements should be considered to deliver parking improvements that help support town centre regeneration?"

Yes. That one got a clear "I call bullsh!t" explanation from me...

Looks like your connection to CityCyclingGlasgow was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.