Desire Network/ Tube map

• administrators

At the Call to action workshop many people were interested in contributing to making a map that shows a cycling network that we really want.

I've had a number of inspirations for this project, the tube maps from Bristol and Bath, previous discussions on this forum and the concept of the grid.

I think a complete grid in Glasgow should be our ultimate aim, like that in Assen.
    alt text

This forum is a good place to continue the discussion we had at the Call To Action workshop. It was a good idea to start simple with a proto-network, focusing on the most important arterial routes that will carry the most people cycling. Bob's use of cycling data shows a great starting point.
    0_1501607403387_BobProtonetwork.jpg

We may be able to identify some missing gaps which the strava data does not cover, routes which people would cycle in great numbers if it existed. @JoeSoap76 also mentioned that identifying important destinations people want to travel to would be useful; rather like major stations on a tube map.

Its important to note that we would want this network to be cycle routes properly protected from motor traffic such that children can get around independently.

We also want to make it easy for different people to add their suggestions to the map. This forum would be a good way to do this, people can draw their routes and link it here.

Hopefully in a few months we can have a proto-map that would be useful and instructive to show to councillors like Anna Richardson, and even have some feedback from her.

• This is nice. The Assen aspiration (if the aliteration is allowed) is also awesome....

WRT the map of Glasgow, this might be self interest speaking, but there seems to be a massive gap to the North and North East. Loads of potentially good cycle commuting communities are currently badly served and we need to ensure that we do not reinforce this segregation. The old A80 is ripe for a cycle route (it currently has a patchy one with a least one lethal junction on it) and this could join a number of communities to Glasgow, as well as connecting the soon-to-be-redeveloped Seven Lochs Wetland Park to central Glasgow (& serve as an easy commuter route for me).
    That route is currently well used despite the attempt by Glasgow planner to kill cyclists at this junction so one would expect a decent route to be even better used....

Looking forward to the full map coming on stream. Happy to draw on chunks of a new route if that helps....

• Creating a desire network may be a difficult task as everyone has their own views on how they would like to see an ideal Glasgow/Strathclyde cycle network but if we start by looking at the "desire lines" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desire_path shown by the Strava/EUCC data then we have a evidence-based framework to start with. We can build on this and amend as we go.

I have previously made some baby steps to using Googlemaps to make an editable map of Glasgow cycle routes https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=145QMLJ-ThoyldWqRnIR5b-IiFXM&ll=55.77472088707413%2C-4.328521499999965&z=11

Maybe we could use a similar approach to collaboratively work up a cycle network?

• administrators

I'll have to show some leadership, but its useful to know what other people are thinking.

How is the map that you linked editable, do you have to sign into Google maps?

I'm also considering contacting Anna Richardson, she might be interested to know that we are creating a strategic network plan and might have input into what would make it more attractive to her other colleges.

Regarding popular destinations, here's a population density map which should help find suppressed demand for cycling. @geomannie do you know any good shapefiles for population density?

• Here's an interesting one... Smart Dublin has partnered with See.Sense to use their smart lights to gather anonymised data from cyclists in the city.

http://smartdublin.ie/see-sense/

I have some of their lights; Aside from being good lights, they're pretty feature-packed and pick up on things like road surface, sharp braking and sudden movements (i.e. accident avoidance) as well as your standard GPS position & speed. So, in theory, the data they're gathering would not only produce a heat-map but also the fast/slow routes and any 'problem' areas. Tie that up with a map of existing infrastructure and you might be able to identify what is and isn't working.

I suspect either (or both) Smart Dublin or See.Sense kicked this off with a very clear idea of what they were hoping to achieve and how... maybe worth dropping them an email with what we're trying to do and asking for some advice?

At the very least they might have some good input... possibly even some data (I'm surely not the only one running their lights in the city)?

• I know the west and east ends best so from observation I would say that a couple of key routes not covered already would be...

• Great Western Road
    • North Hanover Street/Royston Road
    • Dumbarton Road/Argyle Street/St Vincent Street

It's also important to strategically connect up with communities such as those along Royston Road who have extremely low levels of car ownership and which are least likely to show up in strava data.

Welcome to the updated CityCyclingGlasgow.com forum

We've migrated from the old forum to this new shiny one! Come and say hello :-) The old forum is archived here: citycyclingglasgow.com/archive/. You can also follow highlights on twitter: https://twitter.com/cyclingglasgow

The general rules are to play nice - particularly after you've had a few! This means no swearing and no personal attacks.

If there's something you would like changed about the forum let us admins know here .

Happy posting

Categories

• Debate!

Got something controversial to say? Here's the place!

• Chinwag

General lighthearted banter, did you see anyone familiar today?

• Projects

Join or start a new project here

Looks like your connection to CityCyclingGlasgow was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.